Mortal Kombat: Armageddon is the seventh title in the Mortal Kombat fighting game series. The PlayStation 2 version was released in stores on October 11th, 2006 while the Xbox version was released on the 16th, with a Wii version released on May 29th, 2007 in North America. There are no plans to release an Xbox version in PAL territories. This game is the last Mortal Kombat for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox, and the first and only one on the Wii.
Throughout the Mortal Kombat universe, the kombatants of the realms were growing too strong and numerous for the realms to handle. The warriors' powers threaten to utterly destroy the fabric of the MK universe. These warriors clashed in a single battle royale that threatened to rip apart reality and bring about the apocalypse. Without warning, a pyramid rises from the ground, and the tip bursts into flames, attracting the warriors' curiosity to see what it was. The kombatants fought one another to get to the top, while Blaze revealed himself to them. The firespawn was created by the Elder Gods he game play of Raiden vs. Bo' Rai Cho in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon to destroy as many fighters as possible in order to save the realms from Armageddon. This would be the warriors' last battle, their last chance to prove that they are worthy of surviving, while many others will perish. This was the final battle for Mortal Kombat, the battle that determined the fate of the realms...
But soon after the battle concluded, nearly every kombatant met their demise, except:
- Taven (who was turned into Edenia's God Protector).
- Shinnok (who was actually in the Netherrealm; only his clone had been killed in the battle).
- Liu Kang's Spirit (his spirit was observing the battle while his body was destroyed)
- Raiden and Shao Kahn (who concluded Armageddon as they battled atop Blaze's pyramid for the final time, with Shao Kahn being the victor)
- Daegon (who was being punished by Argus)